Job Description The Sustainability Director is responsible for managing and enhancing the Sustainability Program within the company and externally working directly with our clients to provide strategy and execution support to achieve their sustainability objectives. Freedom’s ideal candidate will have strong business and sustainability acumen, project management skills, a passion for transformative change, and the ability to work across organizations in driving sustainable initiatives. The Sustainability Director’s key focus is the development and execution of strategies and plans specific to client and internal business operations goals and objectives including energy optimization, commitment to renewable resources, infrastructure upgrades, emissions reduction, recycling, transportation, resiliency, and supporting sustainability initiatives including tracking, measurement, and reporting requirements.
The Sustainability Director will be an expert in environmental legislation ensuring compliance of all applicable local, state, federal, and environmental laws, and regulations. As a member of the Freedom team, the Sustainability Director will work with all departments within the organization to ensure the company is well informed, positioned and prepared to address market and business opportunities for clients and support furthering our own strategic initiatives.
Career Path Sustainability Directors can look for growth in Sustainability and Operations fields including but not limited to Chief Sustainability Officer and VP of Sustainability.
- Works directly with Freedom’s clients to define strategy and provide support to execute and achieve their strategic sustainability objectives.
- Leads Freedom’s Sustainability Committee. Formalizes, implements, and facilitates the company’s strategic sustainability plan, budget, and associated metrics and materials.
- Identifies creative ways in which the company and clients can balance business obligations with the goal of respecting, supporting, and improving the local and global environments.
- Develops and grows strategic partnerships to expand our sustainability program and efficacy.
- Drafts and implements organizational policies that address sustainability and environmental concerns.
- Works with internal and external key stakeholders to build, develop, and implement a reporting system and to maintain tools to benchmark, track and report against key sustainability goals, ratings, and frameworks.
- Appraises sustainability programs through detailed reporting; recommends and implements improvements, as necessary.
- Conducts research to identify environmental and sustainability concerns, interests, and issues.
- Evaluates sustainability proposals with attention to factors such as cost effectiveness, feasibility, and ease of integration with other programs.
- Drafts and prepares reports, presentations, and proposals; presents recommendations to clients and key stakeholders.
- Generates sustainability reports and/or ad hoc reports as needed internally and for clients.
- Prepares documentation required for project funding for various environmental initiatives including proposals and grant applications.
- Identifies, develops, and facilitates training as needed.
- Represents Freedom at industry forums and participates in select industry organizations.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Environmental Law, Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering, Sustainable Resource Management, or related field; or combination of relevant education, experience, and training.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in sustainability consulting and or program strategy development.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to gather relevant data, actively listen, dialog freely, and communicate ideas effectively.
- Superlative and creative problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Thorough and current knowledge of sustainability practices, and applicable laws and regulations.
- Strong project management and organizational skills, including handling and prioritizing multiple responsibilities to achieve strategic objectives.
- Extremely proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and related software.
- Ability to create, interpret, and execute a budget.
- Presentation skills required to deliver proposals to varying groups and presentations at industry forums.
- Master’s degree highly preferred.
- Related Professional certification preferred.
Work Environment: While performing the job responsibilities, these work environment characteristics represent the environment the job holder will encounter. Therefore, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the job’s essential functions.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by the job holder within this job. Note that this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities, or working conditions associated with the position.
Freedom Energy Logistics is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.
Connect With Us